Promitheos 33 & Afroditis 12, 546 29, Thessaloniki, tel.: 2310 566362
The Nicene Creed (ltrl in original Greek Symbol of Faith) consists of 12 articles, which were established by the 318 fathers in 325 AD during the First Ecumenical Council in Nicaea of Bithynia (the first 7 articles), and completed in 381 AD during the Second Ecumenical Council in Istanbul (the remaining 5 articles).
The articles of the Creed refer to God the Father, to the Son Jesus Christ, to the Holy Spirit, to the Church, to Baptism, to the Resurrection of the Dead, and to Eternal Life.
- I believe in one God, Father, Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.
- And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father for ever and ever.
- Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father by whom all things were made;
- Who for us men, and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit and of the virgin Mary, and was made man;
- He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered, and was buried, and the third day he rose again, according to the Scriptures,
- and ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of the Father;
- From thence he shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.
8. And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and Giver of life, who proceedeth from the Father, who with the Father and the Son together is worshiped and glorified, who spake by the prophets.
- In one holy catholic and apostolic Church;
10. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins;
- I look for the resurrection of the dead,
- and the life of the world to come. Amen.